Visualizing an audio signal requires an IC capable of enhancing the display of voltage changes in audio equipment. Primarily, this is the role of the lm3915, and it is handy in audio equipment. This lm3915 datasheet is for electronics enthusiasts interested in input signal visualization.
Together, let's delve into the specifics of the operation of this Logarithmic Display Driver IC.
What is an lm3915？
A Car Audio System
It is a monolithic integrated circuit capable of detecting an analog voltage signal. Subsequently, it will output the movement as a logarithmic 3 dB or a step analog display. Notably, this IC can drive a variety of outputs such as vacuum fluorescent displays and LCDs. Nonetheless, it helps display via 10 LEDs in most cases.
lm3915 Pin Configuration
A Recording Setting
- Pin 1 plus pin 10 to 18 are the terminals for attaching the 10 LEDs.
- Pin 2/IC's ground pin; It helps earth the IC.
- Pin 3/ V+ / Vcc; It's the terminal where you connect a supply voltage of between 3 to 18 volts.
- Pins 4 and 6 are the Low-level voltage and high-level voltage terminals for the potential divider, respectively.
- Pin 5/analog signal input pin; It is handy in controlling the LEDs.
- Pin 7/REF OUT; It's the output reference voltage pin. Thus, it's essential in the current limiting of the IC.
- Pin 8/ REF ADJ terminal; It facilitates voltage adjustment for the IC.
- Pin 9/ mode select; It helps choose between a bar graph display or a moving dot display mode.
Illustrating Audio Bars
Among the IC's key features and specifications include:
- Firstly, it displays sound in the 30 dB range. Also, it's a 3 dB/step IC type.
- Also, it features the bar and dots display modes. Additionally, it's capable of driving LCDs, Vacuum fluorescents, and LEDs.
- Additionally, its displays are expandable to 90 dB. Furthermore, it has an internal voltage reference of between 1.2V to 12V.
- Fourthly, You can program its output current in the range of 1 mA to 30 mA
- Moreover, its input is capable of withstanding a voltage of ±35V without false outputs or damage
- Also, it's handy for directly driving CMOS or TTL. Further, it features open collectors useful for the current regulation of the outputs
- Lastly, it has a floating internal Ten-Stage Voltage Divider.
How to use lm3915
You can straightforwardly operate this IC, and you will need only a few additional components. Primarily, you'll need 10 LEDs and two resistors. Also, you can use the IC on Low-Voltage DC of between 3V to 25 V.
Already, we have provided the pinout of the IC. Thus, you can assemble the IC on a stripboard for demonstration purposes using it.
An Audio Room
- First, it's helpful in fade bars and other electronic displays applications.
- Also, features in digital gauges and low-cost monitor devices.
- Further, it is essential in elementary battery level indicators and audio visualization circuits.
- Lastly, it is paramount in many automotive and monitoring applications.
The IC is an essential component in audio visualization and design electronics applications. Also, it is easy to use as it requires very few additional parts. If there's anything more about the IC that you'd want to ask or contribute, kindly reach out to us.